**Prints are available. Please leave a comment for more information.**

Friday, June 25, 2010

"The Girl from Ipanema"

This spectacular beach that was made famous from a song written by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes has been held in Brazilians hearts since. In 2008, Diana Krall rewrote the song as "The Boy From Ipanema" which again brought this Brazilian beach in Rio de Janerio into the forefront of our minds and our hearts. Sitting adjacent to Copacabana beach, Ipanema is one of the most expensive places to live in all of Rio.

Two mountains called the "Dois Irmaes" or in English, the Two Brothers, rise at the western end of the Beach and overlook all the sunbathers. Posto's or lifeguard towers dot the expanse of beach and divide the beach into different areas.

While Ipanema Beach was named the sexiest beach by the Travel Channel, there are a few different areas to that title.

By the Rua Farme de Amoedo, there is the 'gay beach' which is extremely gay friendly, and always has a rainbow flag flying. To the west, is an area called the Posto Nove which is infamous for it's long history of pot smoking (illegal in Brazil), police raids, and gatherings of left wing and alternative activists and groups. Posto Nove's tradition began around 1980 when the present senator, Fernando Gaberra returned from political exile in France, and was photographed in a thong on this stretch of beach. Since then, it is where the young and often beautiful 'Carioca' men and women hipsters congregate.

While surf can reach 9 feet in the winter, sunbathers and worshippers flock to the sandy shores in all weather.

What could be better than a getaway to the Brazilian beach of Ipanema, where you to can become a girl or boy from Ipanema.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have never felt my feet firmly planted on the ground.  When I was a child, I would dream of far away places filled with jumping kangaroos and gladiators.  I took my first trip when I was 19, running away from my issues and neglecting to deal with skeletons in my closet.  

Since then I have returned to my first home, and have found that while it has a special place in my heart, it is no longer home.

So I roam the planet, looking for a place for me to plant my feet, and find a home.  Will I find it in this life time?  I'll never know until I find it.  But I will continue looking for it, until my last breath.

These are my journeys.